As expected, Zoabi allowed to run
As expected, the Supreme Court on Sunday morning ruled that Balad MK Hanin Zoabi should be allowed to run in the Knesset elections on January 22.
Zoabi was disqualified by the Central Elections Committee last week, in a 19-9 vote, despite Attorney-General Yehuda Weinstein recommending that she be allowed to run. The committee approved the ban on the grounds that Zoabi supported terrorism and rejected Israel as a Jewish and democratic state.
Balad chairman Jamal Zahalka had said following the decision last week that if Zoabi is disqualified, Balad would not run.
Likud responded to the decision, saying it is clear the existing law "has to change" and state "unequivocally that any expression of support for terrorism amonst candidates will result in their disqualification from the Knesset."
MK Yariv Levin said the decision is a "scandal", adding that it exposes Knesset and the IDF to terror.It is a scandal. At this point, one has to wonder what would happen if the next Knesset (as we can only hope) passes a law intended to circumvent the Supreme Court. The Court would undoubtedly attempt to strike it down. In that case, as President Jackson remarked in 1832, "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it!"