Powered by WebAds

Monday, April 11, 2011

Mubarak claims he doesn't have foreign bank accounts

Deposed Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has spoken out for the first time since leaving office on February 11.
"I will uphold all my legal rights to defend my reputation as well as that of my family both at home and abroad," Mubarak said in a recorded statement carried by Al Arabiya TV.

"I have been, and still am, pained by what I and my family are facing from fraudulent campaigns and unfounded allegations that seek to harm my reputation, my integrity and my military and political record."

He said he only had assets and bank accounts in one Egyptian bank, as he had previously disclosed.

Reformers who drove the mass street protests that ousted the autocratic leader of three decades have demanded tougher steps to recover assets they say he and others took from the state.

Since he left office, Mubarak, 82, and his family have stayed in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh and Egyptian officials have denied reports and rumors that he is very ill.
At the rate things are going in Egypt, we could soon see George Bush-style posters that ask "miss me yet?" We could certainly endorse posters like that of Mubarak here in Israel already.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google