Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thursday, the rabbi ate Kosher iftar

The political correctness of certain 'leaders' of the Jewish community here in the US (not to say it doesn't happen in Israel also) never ceases to amaze me.

YNet reported Wednesday on the formation of 'rabbis for Obama,' a group of some 300 American rabbis "from all denominations" who have come together to support the candidacy of Barack Hussein Obama for President of the United States.
The letter signed by the rabbis displays their stance on Obama’s pro-Israel inclinations.

Moreover, “we fear that the attempts by some to use Israel as a wedge issue against him, unjustifiably is dangerous in that it politicizes the pro-Israel position.”

The rabbis wrote that these “continuing efforts to defame him and distort his record help perpetuate a deeply disturbing political process in our country.”

...

"With his tough but pragmatic approach to Iran, Senator Obama is in the best position to restore faith in America as a leader in the fight against serious threats to Israel, our allies, and the United States," they write.

In their expression of support, the rabbis also noted that they are aware of the mud slinging campaign against Obama which in essence began within the Jewish community.

“We feel it is our duty as Jewish leaders to fight for the truth and against Lashon Hara (slander). Senator Obama has been viciously attacked using innuendoes, rumors, and guilt by association, and we urge our fellow American Jews to judge Senator Obama based on his own record and the clear statements he has made about his personal beliefs and principles,” they wrote.
I'm not going to go into a lengthy discourse about the laws of Lashon Hara, but they generally only apply to things said about fellow Jews. When speaking of fellow Jews, even truth can be Lashon Hara when it is said about a fellow Jew.

On the other hand, a Jew is not supposed to lie. In other words, telling the truth about Obama - that his support for Israel is highly questionable and that his foreign policy advisers and other persons with whom he chooses to surround himself are anti-Israel and worse - is not Lashon Hara.

Furthermore, when there is a toeleth, a positive purpose in speaking Lashon Hara - such as warning another of danger to his person or property - it is often permitted to speak Lashon Hara. In other words, whoever wrote that statement has likely never studied the laws of Lashon Hara as expounded in the book Chafetz Chaim some 100 years ago. You can learn more about the real law of Lashon Hara here. It's not just about slander.

What would have been interesting would have been to see the list of rabbis who signed this declaration broken down by denomination. I don't know every Orthodox rabbi in the US anymore, but I looked at the list here and only one name on the list rang a bell as an Orthodox rabbi (and I might even be wrong about that one). Let's just say that I'll bet I could count the Orthodox rabbis on my fingers.

So what does this have to do with iftar - the meal that Muslims eat to break the fast at the end of each day of Ramadamadan?

When I went to the same story on the JPost's web site, it had an ad nearby to find 'Jewish' events in your area. One of the links was this one:
Gather together with members of the Rumi Forum to enjoy a kosher Iftar, the evening meal for breaking the daily fast during the Islamic month of Ramadan. By learning more about the meanings of Ramadan and Yom Kippur, and by uniting in offering healing prayers, we will commemorate the seventh anniversary of 9/11. Join us for a delicious evening of enlightenment, sharing, and understanding. Presented in Partnership with the 16th Street J's Dialogues and Public Affairs program.
You call it 'politically correct.' I call it dhimmitude. I wonder how many 'rabbis for Obama' will be attending.

I wonder if part of the 'commemoration' of 9/11 will be to deny the fact that all of the 9/11 terrorists were Muslims.

By the way, the 'event' is in Washington DC. I wonder if anyone from the Pentagon will show up. Have to check this story again on Friday.

9 Comments:

At 2:25 AM, Blogger muman613 said...

Shalom,

Let us organize a Rabbis Against Obama petition and get more than 300 rabbis to sign it. I just wrote that Berkeley left leaning rabbi and told him "Shame on you" for turning your back on the Jewish people.

What is wrong with people like this? I guess Berkeley Rabbis have their reasoning clouded by the lunatics.

muman613

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger heroyalwhyness said...

My rabbi is on that list. Argh.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger muman613 said...

herroyalwhyness,

I guess it is time to find a new Rabbi... Remember that Obama sat in the pews of his anti-American and anti-Semitic pastor for 20 years. It is wrong to listen to a Rabbi who leads his congregation astray. Obama is a danger to the Jewish people. His election will spell doom for Israel.

muman613

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Lois Koenig said...

I cannot adequately express how disgusted this makes me feel. That these Rabbis can even contemplate this? I have yet to look at the list, but will make a bet that 'rabbi' Michael Lerner is on it.

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

For some reason my rabbi didn't make the list. Maybe it is because he is a real one, not a fake one.
I looked at many omn the list and they are not real rabbis with smicha.
I suppose there may be a couple of real ones but not man.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger sheik yer'mami said...

I guess I should consider myself lucky not having had the displeasure to meet such moonbat Rabbis.

I do know a lot of moonbat Jews who believe Muslims have a lot 'in common' with us, but most of the the Rabbis I knew so far are quite switched on and know which way the wind blows.

The amazing thing is that there are still so many Israelis who believe they can somehow kiss and sing kumbayahh with the Arabs.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger J. Lichty said...

my rabbi is on the list (reform) as is the conservative rabbi from the shul accross the street.

While I am not surprised (he has a large Obama bumber sticker on his car), I can say to his credit that he does not beat up the congregation with his left wing politics.

I as a right wing Jew, who did not grow up in the reform tradition, have actually been very happy with the Jewish leadership at the temple in terms of their reverence for torah and Jewish learning. Much to my surprise.

We joined the shul because it is the most dynamic and participatory situation in our area, and despite my reservations of raising my kids reform, I have been pleasently surprised.

So, while I do not agree with his signing the letter, the fact that I had to find out about from this website, is welcome.

Of course, I live in Chicago so my vote is pretty academic anyway.

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Islamification. An iftar "first": Catholic Archbishop visits Paris mosque for iftar.

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Red Tulips said...

I recognize two of the rabbis as the Rabbis of BJ - Bene Jesherun. (BJ) I attended a few services there, and I can say it has a crunch-granola atmosphere. It is Reform to put it mildly, with harps and guitars playing on Shabbat, and a female rabbi singing the songs in an operatic voice. The service is held in a converted church.

I recognize another rabbi as none other than Rabbi David Rosen of AJC. He leads religious 'dialogues' around the world and in fact recently 'dialogued' with the Saudi king. I wonder if he will be 'dialoguing' with Ahmadinejad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google