Abu Mazen's 'peace' termsModerate' 'Palestinian' President
Sbeih said Abbas articulated his exact position on the peace agreement, which were as follows:Note what's unaddressed here: An end of conflict statement. The word's 'final solution' don't address that issue.
- Abbas would accept a Palestinian state with the entirety of East Jerusalem as its capital, with limited land swaps as long as the lands being traded were of equal value.
- He would accept an incremental withdrawal of Israeli troops from Palestinian land, allowing them up to three years to leave.
- He would reject the idea of any permanent Israeli military presence in the Jordan Valley, but would welcome an international peacekeeping presence.
- He would refuse to recognize Israel as a Jewish state.
- He would reject any interim agreement, calling instead for a final solution.
- He would reject any proposal that required Palestine to be an unarmed state, but said he would not get involved in an "arms race."
I can't see Israel accepting most of these planks. In fact, the only one I can see us accepting (and I'm very unhappy about it) is the 'land swaps' in some form.
Will Kerry propose something different? What could go wrong?