Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Netanyahu - Mofaz press conference

As I write this, I am listening (unfortunately, off and on - I'm busy with work) to the joint press conference with Prime Minister Netanyahu and opposition leader (soon to be Deputy Prime Minister) Shaul Mofaz.

What's striking about it is that their opening statements dealt first (and in Netanyahu's case only) with changing the electoral system to one that does not give small parties veto power over the coalition. I would say that the only thing less likely than that passing is a deal with the 'Palestinians.'

Hmmm.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger Sunlight said...

Well, if I were in Israel, I would advocate for a geographic representation so that one could vote "the bums" out, whoever the bums are at the moment. Years on the planet are teaching me that there are written theories and then there are individual people, who espouse a theory, but may actually want to enforce other initiatives. Or may be selfishly crooked.

Anyway, then you have to worry about the disgusting gerrymandering that goes on in the re-districting. If people can't win on philosophy and performance track record, then they will lie and cheat. But it does seem like the chance of getting them out is better with direct representation than with that party list deal where you vote for a party, but don't get to choose which people are on the party list.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Sunlight said...

BTW, I read your earlier analysis, which was quite good. I'm not sure I'd fit anywhere. However, at this moment, I'm actually glad to see the generals reconvening, as opposed to the crew that was in charge in summer '06, when we were in Israel with rockets flying. These particular generals appeared to do a good job in decades past, from the perspective of way out here in the sticks of the diaspora. Brings about some level of confidence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google