Powered by WebAds

Sunday, September 18, 2011

How to get a Lebanese in a lot of trouble

Someone remind me to try this when I get home: I should gather every Lebanese Twitter and Facebook account and send them messages/friend them. I know that I already follow some Lebanese on Twitter. Maybe I can get them into trouble too. You see, Lebanese law is not designed for the age of the internet (Hat Tip: Elder of Ziyon). And in fact, I don't even have to wait until I get home. I can do it from right here in the US.
What happens if, while abroad, you make a friend who happens to be Israeli? What if you are attending an event with participants from the Jewish State and shake an Israeli representative’s hand? What if you bought a magazine that was printed in Tel Aviv and wanted to bring it back home?

These questions may seem superfluous to non-Lebanese, but for natives of the Land of the Cedars, engaging in any activity with an Israeli, physically or not, can land you in hot water.

That is because relations between Israelis and Lebanese are governed by two half-century-old laws: the 1943 Lebanese Criminal Code and the 1955 Lebanese Anti-Israeli Boycott Law, the former of which forbids any interaction with nationals of enemy states, and the latter of which specifies Israelis.

To boot, because in the laws’ eyes Lebanese nationality takes primacy over any other, a Lebanese who has dual citizenship and is involved in an exchange with an Israeli anywhere in the world can be legally prosecuted in a Lebanese court.
Now Lebanon decided to ask the law firm of Badri and Salim El Meouchi how far this Lebanese law goes. You'll love the answers. And here's the best part: Although Now Lebanon's site asks you not to reproduce more than 25% of an article, they aren't allowed to contact me under Lebanese law, so I can reproduce the whole thing and there's nothing they can do about it. Heh. More after the fold.

Okay, so I'm a nice guy and I blurred the explanations. Read the whole thing.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Sunlight said...

No freedom! No liberty!

That should be their slogan as they lurch from dictatorship to taliban/muslim bro. beatings in the street. Just like poor Africa, who managed to unload the colonial system, just to be kneecapped by Che Guevara and now the Odinga/al Shabab type people. I'm reading this bio (another book to add if we start a book club!):

Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life

http://www.amazon.com/Che-Guevara-Revolutionary-Jon-Anderson/dp/B004H8GMEY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316366750&sr=1-1

One of the reviewers says "it rambles". But I guarantee you, that is a good thing. It is full of details, including:

Did you know that Che Guevara sent people to the firing squad for handing out pamphlets that he didn't agree with? I knew he shot deserters, and then stopped because of the bad PR. But he started up again after they won and got settled in the financial district... that I never knew.

So when the Israeli public housing people have their sign with Che on it, I would say they are all lined up with the philosophy of murder. Same with UC San Diego with their "Che Cafe". People chuckle about it and think it's funny, oh these young people!, but really it is like naming a street or a square after a shahid suicide bomber. Deatheaters, all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google