Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Overnight music video

Posting was sporadic tonight because I attended a wedding in Bnei Brak (last night I also attended a wedding in Bnei Brak and tomorrow night I have two weddings in Jerusalem - busy week). This has become much more complicated than it ever was because we don't have a car right now. Ours died, and we have yet to buy another one. Israel's public transportation is frankly horrendous. It takes 45 minutes each way to drive to Bnei Brak, but it took us an hour and forty minutes each way by public transport tonight. The only people who use public transport are those who don't own - and generally cannot afford to own - a car. That's the sad reality in this country.

If any of you regularly attend religious Jewish weddings in Israel, please tell me when Killing Me Softly (by Roberta Flack) became acceptable music for those weddings. The band played it while the young couple was off in their isolation chamber (anyone have a better name for it in English?), and I figured that other than the band I was the only one who recognized the song. I also figured I was the only one there - including the band - who knew the words. I guess that was fortunate.

Here's Roi Yedid with Sameyach T'Samach and Asher Bara (yes, I know that this Asher Bara is actually also originally a rock song).

Let's go to the videotape.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:04 AM, Blogger 2senseplain said...

Public transportation in Israel is horrendous compared to what? The US?Definitely better. To Japan or Europe? Definitely not. But it keeps improving and even if it isn't as fast as a car, it does get me there affordably for which I am grateful as I do indeed have no chance of owning a car, whether or not I could afford it. Anyway, if you try to take your fast car into Tel Aviv or Jerusalem you also have to find a place to park it. Difficult and expensive.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger 2senseplain said...

Public transportation may be less convenient than travel by car but it works a lot better than in the States (although not as well as Japan or Europe) and they keep trying to improve. Its certainly a lot safer.

Naturally it takes longer. By its nature its not direct and keeps stopping to pick up and drop off people. But it gets me where I need to go and since I haven't a prayer of having a car, even if I ever develop the means, I'm extremely grateful for the independence public transportation gives me.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Carl in Jerusalem said...

2senseplain,

In the places where I use and used public transport in the US (Boston and its suburbs, New York and its suburbs), it's FASTER than taking your car. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it.

In Israel, the ONLY place to which I can get faster using public transport is Tel Aviv during rush hour (and even then, it's MUCH faster to take a taxi to the outdated concept of a Central Bus Station). And even that not by much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google