Powered by WebAds

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ghajarians aren't upset about leaving Israel

I've done several posts about the town of Ghajar over the last week or two. I felt sorry for the town's residents because I thought they had recognized that living in a modern, western democracy was better than living in a tribal oriented Muslim country. But it appears I was wrong.
Najeeb Khateeb, a spokesman for Ghajar, said his townsmen would have consented to the village being transferred in its entirety to Lebanon as a temporary measure before its ultimate return to Syria. He said he opposed the partition.

“We have no objection that the entire village, with all of its lands, be transferred to Lebanon,” he told The Media Line. “However, we refuse to become landless refugees in Lebanon. We remained here to guard our homes and land, even though 50% of our residents were uprooted in 1967 and now live in Syria. We would rather die here than become refugees.”
I actually had an opportunity to go to Ghajar yesterday (you need a special permit to get in), but I passed on it, because I had work to do and could not take the time to drive 3-4 hours in each direction to get there. I'm really glad I didn't go.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

Good for you Carl - other than that, how did you enjoy your trip to the Golan Heights?

That would be an interesting story all in itself.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder whether they're saying that because now they have no choice what to say.

Sort of like the Iranian wrestler last week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google