Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Overnight music video

As many of you have probably heard already, Rabbi Mordechai Eliyahu zt"l (may the memory of the righteous be a blessing), the former Sephardi Chief Rabbi (1983-93) and a vehement opponent of giving any part of the land of Israel to the Arabs, passed away on Monday afternoon.

Just to tell you one story, it was reported on television on Monday night (I heard it on radio as I was driving back from Tel Aviv this evening) that in 1951, Rabbi Eliyahu spent ten months in jail for advocating turning the State of Israel into a halachic state (a state that would function under Jewish law).

I had the honor of meeting Rabbi Eliyahu on three occasions, although only one of them was up close. That was when I took one of my children to him for a blessing several years ago. But one of my children received his siddur (prayerbook) from Rabbi Eliyahu when he was in first grade (I was in mourning for my mother at the time and had to keep running in and out of the room to avoid hearing music - my rabbi told me to leave the room every time they started to play music).

Here's Yaakov Shwekey singing Tzadikim (Righteous Ones). It's the most appropriate song I could think of.

Let's go to the videotape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google