Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 25, 2009

What Keith Dayton hath wrought

American General Keith Dayton (pictured) is training the 'Palestinian police' to take over for the IDF in the 'Palestinian' cities, and eventually to become an armed force against Israel. Israel has responded by allowing the 'Palestinian police' to control some cities and towns in Judea and Samaria. In fact, Israel just announced today that the IDF will drastically reduce its presence in five 'Palestinian' cities; Dayton's forces are to be given control.

In Jericho, 'Palestinian' human rights activist Bassam Eid is disgusted with the manner in which the 'Palestinian police' go about their duties. He has asked that the IDF retake the checkpoint at the southern entrance to Jericho that is now manned by the 'Palestinian police.'
I'D LIKE to divulge some of the methods the agents of the Palestinian security forces use in Jericho, where I live. For instance, many taxi drivers have become agents. When in Jericho, there is no need to give the driver the address of the person you want to visit; the name is enough. While dropping off someone at a certain address, the driver contacts his operator and report driving person A or B to C's location. Vegetable merchants and farmers have also become agents to protect their own personal interests (working on lots without permission, continuing to drive a taxi without a license, etc.). These people are forced to pay the "cheap" price of becoming an agent to secure their narrow personal interests.

A decade ago, on my first visit to Egypt, the citizens of Cairo warned me about the shoe polishers in the street, who are also in the employ of the Egyptian Security Agency. I believe that is the only thing Jericho lacks today: shoe polishers. There are several high-ranking officers who have between four and six bodyguards each. Those bodyguards act aggressively and violently, as if they constituted the government itself. Embarrassingly, in my eyes, the rule of law doesn't apply to them, but vice versa.

Once, I ran into an interrogator while driving and didn't notice I had been asked to pull over. He requested that I follow him to the station. My interrogator claimed to have known me for several years, after seeing me in a show on Israeli television in 1995, where I presented a harsh criticism of the Palestinian Authority. I asked him how old he had been then, and he answered 11. His vindictive behavior gave me the feeling that he has been pursuing me ever since. I decided to infuriate him even further: when he asked if I was proud to be a Palestinian, I answered "No."

...

When Israel removed the checkpoint at the southern entrance to Jericho, the Palestinian Security Agency started to work harder and began to despise the local people even more. It claims that Israel has given them too much work by removing the checkpoint. I, as a Palestinian, in consideration of the Palestinian Security Agency's need to take some tasks off its shoulders, request that Israelis put back the checkpoint. But of course that is left to the judgment of Ehud Barak and not me.

...

I would like to suggest that Gen. Dayton not just train agents in the use of weapons, beating and torture (eight prisoners have been tortured to death in Palestinian prisons so far this year: five in Gaza, three in the West Bank), but also train them how to behave among their own people. However, I don't believe that ranks high on Dayton's list of priorities.
Read the whole thing. And then just give them a state and they'll learn how to behave. What could go wrong?

1 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger NormanF said...

Just give them Dayton's police and they will live happily ever after together with the Jews.

What could go wrong indeed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google