Powered by WebAds

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Netanyahu speaks, Hezbullah listens in live

Former (and maybe soon-to-be) Prime Minister Binyamin (Bibi) Netanyahu spoke to the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations last week. Here's part of his speech (Hat Tip: One Jerusalem):



Out of the part that they show, the only issue I have is during the first minute and a half where he seems to differentiate between Fatah and Hamas and to say that the only reason it's not okay to give up land is that it will end up in the hands of Hamas. I disagree. I see NO difference between Fatah and Hamas.

In honor of the 90th anniversary of the Balfour declaration, Netanyahu also spoke to the Detroit chapter of the Zionist Organization of America at a synagogue on Thursday night. Debbie Schlussel was at the speech and has lots of comments here, including a summary of the (lack of) security around Netanyahu that allowed a Shiite Muslim and Hezbullah sympathizer to work for the caterer. Her comments are well-worth reading.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

After reading this and watching the video, I find myself again wishing that Netanyahu were PM.

I know, Carl, that you've previously discussed the flaws of Likud. While I don't dispute your points, I at least see in Netanyahu an extremely intelligent, erudite man who gets it. That's to say, he seems to grasp both the tactical and the big picture.

I suspect Israel and the cause of peace and security would still be far better served with PM Netanyahu and a Likud Cabinet, warts and all, instead of Olmert & Co.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Carl in Jerusalem said...

Dave,

You're 100% right. If the election is between Netanyahu, Olmert and Barak, or Netanyahu, Livni and Barak, there is no question that Netanyahu gets my vote.

But I don't think we can be complacent if Netanyahu attains power.

I don't think he's the ideal candidate.

I cannot say for sure whether he internalized the lessons of his first term in office (when, by the way, it was the right who brought him down).

I want to believe in him. I can't.

The left claims that Netanyahu's sudden transformation is like the popular song (in Hebrew): Things you see from there, you don't see from here. They claim that ANY Prime Minister once he's in the Prime Minister's office will see that there is no choice but to give the country to the 'Palestinians.' I disagree with their analysis. But Netanyahu's behavior in office is the best proof of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google