'Palestinians' threatening to leave 'Cairo talks'
With Israel refusing to return to the 'Cairo talks' unless 'Palestinian' rocket fire ceases, the 'Palestinians' are now threatening to leave as well
Delegation head Azzam Ahmed told Al Arabiya television the Palestinian factions in Cairo for the negotiations would leave "if it is confirmed to us that (Israel) will not return except with conditions."
On Saturday night, senior Israeli diplomatic officials announced that they will not send a team back to Cairo to discuss a cease-fire until Hamas rocket fire ceases, and will respond forcefully to all Hamas attacks.
The officials said if there was a continuation of the rocket fire that began at 4 a.m on Friday, and intensified four hours later with the end of the 72-hour cease-fire, then Israel would consider “all options on the table” and was not limiting itself to striking back from the air.
The officials said the Israeli team that was in Cairo negotiating with the Egyptians over a longer-term deal returned to Israel at 7 a.m. on Friday when it became apparent that Hamas was not going to extend the cease-fire.
Note that third paragraph carefully. Yes, that's a threat to go back in on the ground
Communications Minister Gilad Erdan (Likud), a member of the
Knesset's Security Cabinet, reaffirmed Saturday night Israel's
commitment to destroy Hamas's terror tunnel network while hinting at a
renewed IDF ground entry to Gaza.
"I won't tell the enemy our intentions, but even a wide ground entry
leading to the toppling of the Hamas regime is being weighed," Erdan
told Channel 2.
[T]he removal of troops does not signify the end of Operation
Protective Edge according to Science and Technology Minister Ya'akov
Perry (Yesh Atid), who likewise sits on the Security Cabinet.
During the ceasefire mediators met in Cairo in unsuccessful efforts to reach a truce. Assessing the situation, Perry said, "Hamas
is trying to gain meaningful achievements while attempting to press the
state of Israel at the height of the faltering talks in Egypt."
"We are prone to be dragged into a war of attrition, but at the
same time Hamas has taken a critical blow, and its amount of rockets
has dropped by two thirds," summarized the Science Minister.
Nevertheless, rocket attacks continued on Saturday and showed no sign
of stopping Sunday morning. As of Saturday night, 23 rockets had been
fired over the course of the day, making 61 the total fired since the
ceasefire expired Friday morning.
Back to the first link again.
Economy Minister Naftali Bennett said on Friday after the firing restarted that this was a test for Israel’s deterrence that would have ramifications for years. As such, he said, the response needed to be “hard and painful.”
He said Israel needed to decisively win this battle, whether UN Secretary- General Ban Ki-moon “likes it or not. Operation Protective Edge is not over, Hamas has not yet been defeated, and Israel’s citizens need to be strong and prepared for what comes next.”
And there's wall-to-wall support for going not giving in to Hamas. Even Tzipi Livni....
Another security cabinet member, Justice Minister Tzipi Livni, said Hamas should not get anything it is asking from Israel that applies to a possible final agreement with the Palestinians, such as a safe passage – which they are demanding – from the Gaza Strip to the West Bank, an airport or a seaport.
“I support continuing firing toward Hamas,” she said. “We should not pay Hamas for quiet. Hamas’s fire will not bring it to better achievements.”
Meanwhile, Hamas has threatened to attack Tel Aviv today if Israel doesn't give in to their demands. It's time to bring Hamas to an end. It's time to go after the bunker under Shifa Hospital.
Labels: Gaza, Hamas, IDF, Operation Protective Edge