Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Pennsylvania poll ordered to cover Obama mural

Thinking back to my first ever political campaign in 1962 (I had to go to Wikipedia to remind myself of the details - all I remembered was the name and 'Attorney General'), I recall vividly being kept back from the polling place because I was handing out business cards urging people to vote for Eddie McCormack.

And here in Israel, as well, you cannot get within a certain distance of a polling place with political material without facing arrest and fine for violating the election laws.

So why did it take a court order to get the mural pictured above - in a Philadelphia polling place - covered over?
Republican National Committee Deputy Communications Director Tim Miller tweeted an election judge's order requiring the polling place to cover up the mural "in its entirety with blank paper or other similar material so that the content of the mural is invisible in its entirety" for the duration of the election.
Hmmm.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Blogger Sunlight said...

I'm actually more concerned with voter rolls that, in my state's case since 2005, have not been maintained or purged. And no I.D. required to register *or* vote.

So, now they say the U.N. election monitors are flummoxed that people can vote without showing a photo I.D. If people somehow think showing an I.D. is something terrible, how about we get those kind of fingerprint scanners they use when you cash a check... set up the baseline scan when they register to vote and then they can scan their finger as part of the voting place sign-in and, ta-da, vote without an I.D. And I think the absentee ballots or provisional ballots should come with an thing like a bandaid, where you pull off a little cover, press your finger onto the spot uncovered, and then press your finger onto your ballot, leaving your fingerprint. And then those ballots can be scanned to check the name/registration to the fingerprint you put on there.

http://www.iaus.com/Fingerprint.aspx

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger debbie said...

You voted in 1962? I don't think so. I know how old you are.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Carl in Jerusalem said...

Debbie,

I didn't vote. I campaigned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google