Alleged 'Innocence of Muslims' filmmaker taken for questioningThe filmmaker who allegedly made Innocence of Muslims was taken for 'questioning' in the wee hours of Saturday morning in Southern California.
[Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve] Whitmore told The Times that [Nakoula Basseley] Nakoula was taken in for a voluntary interview with probation officials and has not been arrested or detained.And you thought there was free speech in America, didn't you? (By the way, this story was headline news in Israel earlier on Saturday).
Authorities waited until most media had left for the day to take Nakoula in.
Earlier Friday, sheriff’s deputies had to escort attorneys through a scrum of news cameras into Nakoula’s home. When the man was taken away early Saturday, authorities had to dodge only a lone photographer for The Times and a few lingering reporters.
Nakoula has told the Associated Press that he was a logistics manager on the "Innocence of Muslims" movie, not the director. He told a Coptic Christian bishop on Thursday that he had no role in it, the clergyman told The Times.
Nakoula is believed to use the alias Sam Bacile, which was the name a caller who took credit for the film gave to the AP and the Wall Street Journal.
On Friday, U.S. courts spokeswoman Karen Redmond said the Office of Probation in the Central District of California was reviewing whether Nakoula, who has been convicted on bank fraud charges, violated terms of his probation in relation to the video and its uploading onto the Internet.
He had been ordered not to own or use devices with access to the Internet without approval from his probation officer -– and any approved computers were to be used for work only. "Defendant shall not access a computer for any other purpose," the terms read.
Restrictions were also placed on him enlisting others to get on the Internet for him.
UPDATE 11:03 PM