Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Facebook's double standard

Jeff Treesh reports that Facebook has threatened to take down his page because it calls for boycotting the Hamas front group CAIR. He then goes on to do quite a good job of showing that Facebook allows unlimited attacks on Jews and Israel, but suddenly forgets free speech when Muslims are the target.
Doing a general search of the term CAIR on FB revealed 33 English pages directly affiliated with their organization, and spreading their message of stopping Islamophobia. I found 3 (mine included) against the organization. Not too bad in my humble opinion, sowhere's the problem? Well, upon further searching I found the following:

If you search for the generic term "Israel" there were 1,243 results. 621 of these were anti Israel. And not just the standard I hate Israel either, I'm talking open pages calling for genocide. Some minor examples here, here, and here. On a search for the term "Zionism", it brought up 443 negative sites out of 490 results calling for its end.

And it must be noted, this was only searching in Arabic and English, which leaves over 68 available languages unchecked. All percentages aside, this is pretty disgusting. That rings out to be 63% of the 1,686 pages reviewed, were anti Israel.

Onto the other side of the coin, with completing a search of the simple terms Muslim, Islam, and anti-Islam, (this time just in English) I returned a total of 1,163 pages and groups, only 50 of those were critical of Islam, that's a whopping .04%. The majority of these pages are for calling for stopping Islamophobia, and preventing hatred towards Muslims. (And converting others to Islam of course)

In reality, this is the tip of the iceberg; antisemitism and racism are rampant on Facebook, and we all know that. If a day doesn't go by that I don't receive a death threat on there or my blog, well, a day just doesn't go by. While I am 100% for free speech, I am even more for stopping all this genocidal talk against a select group of humans, just because of their religion. Isn't it time for Facebook to take a good look at what they have on their site, or do they even care?
I'd guess that they don't care so long as it is only Jews being attacked.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger BH in Iowa said...

Lies and incitement about Jews are permitted but telling the truth about Islam isn't.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Carl.
Actually i got blocked from adding content from my blog to facebook today.I'm considered 'Spam' after posting Yesterday about the Muslim Brotherhood.The truth has become hatespeech or Spam.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Many-Faces-of-Spaces-MFS-Home-Main-Website/204678919597079

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Sunlight said...

Interesting. I guess I've just gotten so much in the habit of ignoring stuff that I just don't see these things. I spent months in a Linked In thread about a Palestinian event that happens at my alma mater every year. And was called names, etc. But I think freedom carries a responsibility to turn things off, click away from things, etc. in almost all cases. If they are calling for Dead Jews, then we'd need to call the FBI or something. I mostly use Facebook as a newsfeed and it is very efficient for that (because I don't follow traditional news providers). I'm actually consumed with worrying about the cheater voting going on in the U.S. more than CAIR's drivel. Hmmm.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Empress Trudy said...

Is Zuckerberg a big Obama booster?

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Captain.H said...

You think Facebook is bad? YouTube is 10X worse! Anyone posting videos telling the truth about Islamofascism is fair game to get kicked off but you can find all kinds of Nazi stuff all over. Good ol' Nazi marching songs; paeans to those elite patriot Warriors, the SS; you name it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google