Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Niall Ferguson on the Arab spring misnomer

I did not expect to be away for this long.

When the last session broke - shortly after 6:00 - I decided so skip the final session of the evening. I would have been out in no time except that I was still walking around with that stupid headset that didn't work and the security people wouldn't let me through to return them and get my Israeli ID card back. So I sat down, opened my computer and discovered a message that Ed Morrissey of Hot Air - whom I have admired since his days at Captain's Quarters - was available in the lounge area.

I thought we would chat for about 15 minutes and then the final session would go up on the big screen and I would either watch it or leave. It was never put up on the big screen, and we ended up chatting for an hour. What a nice guy....

While I'm getting my act together, I recommend that you read Ed's account of a session I missed this morning with Niall Ferguson.
What happens in countries undergoing revolution, such as in the current Arab nations and in those historical examples? Capital flight almost always follows, which creates economic collapse, higher prices, and unemployment. The misery and anger that results plays into the hands of radicals who usually take the opportunity to find scapegoats for the collapse, from within as well as without. They seize power and begin to prosecute their hatreds in order to bolster their popularity — and if that dynamic follows in the Arab nations, that’s not going to be good news for Israel.
Read it all.

You will recall that Egypt, Syria, Yemen, Morocco and Tunisia are all going broke. Sounds like Ferguson is onto something.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Blogger ais cotten19 said...

"Therefore, Ferguson warns, the window for Israel to resolve its conflicts is closing faster than people imagine."

Yeah right Ferguson, let Israel sign peace agreements with a handful of countries that are practically guaranteed to become Islamofascist dictatorships within the next 5-10 years.

He's not onto something, but he might be on something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google