Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mubarak torn down

In the spring of 1980, in the glowing aftermath of Camp David, I spent four days in Egypt, visiting Cairo, Luxor and Alexandria.

It was the first time I ever spent time in a dictatorship. One of the things that struck me immediately were the massive posters of then-dictator Anwar Sadat that were all over the country, especially in Cairo. Tearing down those kinds of posters has huge symbolism (think about the statue of Saddam Hussein being famously knocked down in Baghdad in 2003).

Let's go to the videotape.



Hmmm.

By the way, another thing I recall about that trip (which I took with my grandmother of blessed memory) was that we stayed in a place called the Sheharezade Hotel, which was across the street from the Nile, and that anytime we wanted to go anywhere, we had to cross the 6th of October bridge.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger NormanF said...

Egypt is the only Arab country with a significant pre-Islamic past. The Egyptian Presidents might as well be Pharaohs. Nothing has changed in the Land Of The Nile in the past few millenia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google