Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

A brush with anti-Semitism

Sderot Media Center's Noam Bedein had a nasty experience with anti-Semitism in Austin, Texas.
I had never been to Austin before but had heard about the Texas State Capital and its blend of 19th and 21st Century architecture, Universities, high-tech industries, with rolling hills and forests surrounding the city that, according to a friend in Israel who once lived there, are remarkably similar to the hills and forests that I travel from Sderot to Gush Etzion and Hebron.

The campus event was titled ‘Iran in Sderot’s backyard’. The presentation focused on the human side of the story, relating the daily reality of living in Sderot under the constant threat of aerial attacks from Gaza.

My talk concentrated on the the two years since ‘Cast Lead’, the massive build up of bomb shelters, and the moral dilemma of fighting terrorists who launch their rockets from behind the collective human shield of Gaza's civilian population.

Entering the building on the Austin campus where the presentation was set, I was met by a number of pro-Palestinian protesters holding signs reading NO OCCUPATION = NO ROCKETS, How is Gaza not like Warsaw?, and 1417 Palestinian killed in Gaza vs 13 Israelis.

It isn't the first time I’ve encountered protesters demonstrating against me just because I’m Israeli Zionist. In Austin, the protesters would enter the auditorium and try to provoke me with demonizing questions and comments they attempted to disguise under the slogan "We want to open a dialogue".

...

The PSC [Palestine Solidarity Committee] representative filmed my Sderot audiovisual presentation, and pared it down into two 9-minute videos, showing their protests against my appearance on campus and disfiguring my face from a normal human being into something of a monstrous demon, with glowing red eyes. Not one word from the actual presentation appears in the video. Take a look at this video:



There are two more videos - one from Austin and one from Michigan. Make sure to watch here.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:02 AM, Blogger tcq said...

Noah, I regret that you encountered the usual Arab hatemongers along with their idiot leftist allies at the University of Texas at Austin, but I also regret that the beginning of the article vaguely insinuates that Austin is anti-Semitic. This is libel. I grew up in San Antonio and graduated from the University of Texas, and I never once encountered anti-Semitism. My son attended the University and was a leader in the large and active Texans for Israel organization. UT has about 50,000 students, most of whom are favorably inclined towards Israel. Did you notice that the "director" of the video was compelled to show the same 10-20 morons over and over again, along with their 10-20 moronic signs? Have some perspective! Do you understand how many much more Judenhass you would have encountered, say, at Cal Berkeley? Shalom!

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

Yup. What gets lost is the other side is not interested in dialogue and peace with the Jews and Israel.

That's apparent in of all places, even in Austin...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google