Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A man after my own heart

I haven't seen any of the NBA finals on TV (no cable where I live and besides - you can't watch a game starting at 4:00 am when you have be in the synagogue at 5:05 am), but this guy is definitely a man after my own heart.
I moved to Israel last year and brought my Boston sports triad with me (Sorry, Bruins. You lost me sometime between Terry O’Reilly’s last lumber off the ice and your perpetual playoff oblivion.)

This, of course, has been the case ever since I left New England 21 years ago. The nation, the legion, the fighting minutemen of Boston sports – we continue to spill our guts for our hometown teams wherever we are.

I established my personal record in 1986, in the NBA Finals. I hitchhiked 4 hours 3 separate times over land, bears, and ever other possible natural and man-made obstacle in TV-less Yellowstone National Park, to watch the first “Big 3” (and DJ and Danny) defeat Houston and slinking “center” Ralph Sampson in 6 games. Ah, youth.

I’m a lot older now, but still foolish.

I’s the graveyard shift for me now. Do or die. I’m a medical resident in my own personal insane asylum. One night on, one night off. 36-hour no-sleep stretches. Awakened when I don’t want to be – lest I miss an “emergency” when Doc Rivers needs me.

It’s not like watching the endless Red Sox-Yankees thrillers of ’04. At least I could get five hours of sleep in before work. But 3:30 am, start time? I can’t say I’m getting up early in the morning to watch the game, because it’s the middle of the night. So the pressure builds at 10 pm to go to sleep, but I’m a night bird. I haven’t gone to sleep before 10 pm since Hill Street Blues took to the air. So, what’s the point?? Let’s just stay up till game time, and let the next day be damned….
Read it all. If the Pats make the Super Bowl this year, maybe I'll get my friend in Beit Shemesh with the big screen TV to invite this guy along.

And I left New England 36 years ago.... Anyone want to send me a "Beat LA" shirt? I was afraid to even look for them last week until after Orlando had been dispatched.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google