Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Iranian diplomat in Norway resigns

Iran's ambassador to Norway (I believe that's what they mean by consul at the embassy in Oslo) has resigned from his post to protest Iranian treatment of demonstrators.
The Consul at the Iranian Embassy in Oslo has resigned from his position in protest against his own government's use of violence against demonstrators last week, in which at least 8 people were killed and many arrested.

The consul, who has worked at the Oslo embassy for three years, is still in Oslo and has not yet contacted Norwegian authorities.

However, in an interview with public broadcaster NRK, he confirms that he has stepped down and that he is considering asking Norwegian authorities for help.

- It was the Iranian authorities' treatment of demonstrators around Christmas which made me realise that my conscience would not allow me to continue in my job, he says to NRK.

Head of the Norwegian-Iranian support committee, Rahman Saki, is concerned about the diplomat's safety: - It will be difficult because he will be severely punished if he returns to Iran. Not only he, but also his family, Saki says.
If I were him, I would not seek asylum in Scandinavia. I'd go to the US or Canada. Much safer.

1 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger Chrysler 300M said...

very interesting


http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23iranelection

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google