Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It's a small world after all

You may recall that "M," the off-duty IDF soldier who killed Jerusalem's first bulldozer terrorist nearly three weeks ago, was the brother-in-law of David Shapira, the IDF officer who killed the Merkaz HaRav terrorist back in March. Today's bulldozer terrorist was killed by Yaakov Asael, a border policeman and father of nine children who lives in Susia near Mount Hebron. As it happens, Yaakov is the brother of JPost columnist Amotz Asael. He also was M's high school teacher.

More details here.

6 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Blogger Leora said...

Hey, and I know Amotz! (from when he lived in Cambridge, MA) Figures he'd have a smart, brave brother. Glad there are still some heroes in this world.

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

More evidence G-d is behind all things. The same family - or least people they know keep popping up on the scene each time there's a terrorist incident. Its fascinating, Carl. I don't think any one can say its due to random chance. The world doesn't work that way and Our Father wants us to see He's very much involved in it

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger {a}don Xaxam said...

The New Maccabees in the making? ;-)

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Carl in Jerusalem said...

Leora,

I met Amotz at a Columbia alumni event. He is very much a 'centrist' (which you can also see by reading his weekly JPost column). He is not someone I would have expected to have a brother with nine children living near Hebron in a very tough neighborhood.

Then again, if you met my brother, you'd be shocked we are related too (and I know you knew both my brother and me growing up).

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I kept on smacking my head yesterday thinking "Asa-El, Asa-El... I know I know somebody with that name!"

I suppose the contrast of what little I knew between the 2 threw me off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google