Powered by WebAds

Friday, September 05, 2014

'Most pro-Israel administration evah' threatens 'further action' against Jewish state

Barak Ravid reports that the self-proclaimed 'most pro-Israel administration evah' is threatening 'further action' unless Israel 'reconsiders' its conversion of some 1,000 acres of land into state land earlier this week.
The Obama administration is considering taking further action regarding Israel’s expropriation of 1,000 acres of West Bank land this week, on top of the condemnation Washington has already issued.
“Maybe our reaction will find expression in other ways,” a senior U.S. official told Haaretz, but declined to give details.
In recent days attempts have been made by the national security adviser, Yossi Cohen, and other Netanyahu advisers to calm the Americans down. The Israeli officials told the Americans it would take years until any construction was carried out in the area. The move was a long process that still required a number of stages of approval.
Netanyahu’s advisers added that the move had taken the prime minister’s aides by surprise; Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon had not coordinated it with them. The aides had not been informed in advance about the Civil Administration’s announcement, or the timing.
An aide to Ya’alon confirmed that the prime minister’s aides had not been told of the move; he said this was not necessary because it was only a technical procedure.
A senior Israeli official said the move began at a meeting of the security cabinet after the murder of the three teens. At the session, Ya’alon suggested that as part of the response to the killing, Israel should turn the Gva’ot outpost in the Gush Etzion area into a new settlement.
The establishment of a new settlement requires a cabinet decision, but no decision on the issue was made at that security-cabinet meeting.
Despite the absence of a decision, Ya’alon instructed the Civil Administration to advance the administrative procedures for expropriating the land. The Civil Administration surveyed the area to make sure the land intended for Gva’ot was not privately owned by Palestinians.
The Civil Administration found that no land in the area was privately owned and thus announced the expropriation.
Palestinian residents of the area will be able to submit objections to the move in the next 45 days.
How ridiculous is the Obama administration being (aside from the fact that its reaction shows that it is most definitely not pro-Israel)? Ravid's newspaper published a map of the area in question earlier this week. As you'll see below, this area has been part of Israel in every peace proposal going back to the Rogers Plan in 1969.

And I am old enough to recall the fury that consumed American Jewry over the Rogers Plan when it was introduced (follow the link in the paragraph before the tweet). This 'land grab' is nothing but a tempest in a teapot.

Labels: , , , , ,


At 3:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Not since FDR has there been an occupant in the White House this friendly to the Jewish people.

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Empress Trudy said...

It's silly to pretend that any amount of kowtowing to Obama will ever appease him. He's no different than the PLO or Hamas on this point. But the upside is that he has the attention span of a housefly and nothing he EVER does is for anything but domestic politics. He will move on to the next shiny thing that attracts his attention in a week or two.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home