Powered by WebAds

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Israeli reporter nearly lynched in Beitunia

Longtime Arab affairs correspondent Avi Issacharoff was nearly lynched while covering Nakba day riots in Beitunia on Friday.
I found myself seconds away from being beaten to death by a mob of Palestinian masked men during clashes in the West Bank town of Beitunia, north of Jerusalem, on Friday.
I was saved by pure good fortune: Two plainclothes members of the Palestinian Authority security forces happened to be nearby and waded in to extricate me. I was already being hit and kicked from behind when they rescued me.
I’ve been covering the Palestinian territories for many years, and been in no shortage of sticky situations, but this came out of the blue. It was totally unexpected.
I was there to report on the Nakba Day protests with a cameraman colleague from Walla News. He was some distance from me when he was approached by several Palestinian journalists who told him to “Get out.”
I walked toward them, and told them that if they had a problem, they should be talking to me. One of the Palestinian journalists, a young woman, then called over to a group of masked men, who swiftly surrounded me and began attacking me.
But just give them a 'state' and I'm sure they'll stop behaving this way.... /sarc

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger free` said...

From the article "I’ve been covering the Palestinian territories for many years, and been in no shortage of sticky situations, but this came out of the blue. It was totally unexpected."---------------- That is exactly what you hear from wildlife reporters after escaping an attack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google