Powered by WebAds

Friday, January 10, 2014

The search for Caleb continues

The search for Caleb Jacoby continues. This piece in the Atlantic was written by the son of one of my childhood friends and Maimonides classmates.
Police have told Maimonides parents that they’ve never seen this degree of interest in a missing person. They’ve received calls from strangers in Israel who are ready to fly over and carefully comb the streets of Brookline with the Maimonides classmates who are searching for him, house-to-house, in below-freezing weather. For Modern Orthodox Jews, the story has radically altered and personalized the notion of missing children. And for Caleb’s neighbors, the “it-couldn’t-happen-here-ness” that is practically synonymous with Brookline’s suburban idyll has been totally shattered.
Once a year, when Caleb was younger, his father would take a break from writing about hot-button political issues like pension reform or Roe v. Wade, and turn his column into a letter to his son, writing frankly and intelligently about the challenges of fatherhood. In one of those columns, written on the occasion of Caleb’s 10th birthday, he recalled a lesson from Rabbi Joseph Telushkin, who wrote that rather than feeling “startled or inconvenienced by the siren of an ambulance or firetruck,” we should “offer a prayer that the EMTs or firefighters arrive in time to help whoever is in danger.” I’m hopeful that help will arrive for Caleb. And the next time a missing person announcement appears on my Twitter feed, I’ll read it carefully and retweet it before it’s whisked away, downstream.
Read the whole thing

Tonight, there was a public prayer for Caleb at the Western Wall in Jerusalem. Unfortunately, I didn't make it. But I continue to pray for his safe and speedy return to his family, and I hope you will too.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger Lois Koenig said...

Carl, we just got home, and the first thing I did was to turn on the computer
to see if Caleb had been found. I went to your blog knowing that you would know. I will keep on praying for him. This is devastating.

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Sunlight said...

One of parents' compartmentalized nightmares. Prayers underway.

BTW, Rabbi Joseph Telushkin's book Jewish Literacy, sat beside me for almost a year at the beginning, and I read one of his essay sections every day. He gets credit (or the opposite, according to some) as the recruiter of me. I absolutely loved what he said and how he said it. I have almost all of his other books and I'm been thinking I shd start in on his Biblical Literacy book to see if he addresses Torah Economics.

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he's been found!! he's safe! We serve an awesome architect! a Living and loving master who hears the prayers of his children. especially the prayers of his sons for THEIR sons!

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Rondo said...

They found him

http://www.masslive.com/news/boston/index.ssf/2014/01/missing_teen_caleb_jacoby_foun.html

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Bock said...

Cleveland Jewish News reports that Caleb has been found safe.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Shy Guy said...

SAFE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google