Powered by WebAds

Thursday, August 15, 2013

A meaningful Bar Mitzva for Sam

I am sure that many of you have seen the video of the Broadway show-like Bar Mitzva of Sam Horowitz. I have not watched the video - frankly I don't believe that Bar Mitzva celebrations like that are appropriate - but a couple of anonymous friends did some digging and I'd like to share it with you.

This started because one of my friends commented "Boy do I hope they give generously to Jewish causes."

Another friend did the research and discovered the following:
Horowitz also emphasized the family’s prominent role in Jewish philanthropy. Indeed, in Sam’s bar mitzva invitation video, set to the pop hit “Call Me Maybe,” he can be seen dancing in front of the JCC of Dallas, endowed by his grandparents, Steve and Carol Aaron.
And one of my friends - let's call  her Lauri - responded with the best comment I've seen yet about this:
It's wonderful that his grandparents were philanthropic (apparently mom's side). I really don't want to be judgmental but.... in my very humble opinion, it goes to the loss of all perspective and values by American Jews who have found success here. As long as you fund a building for the local JCC that has your name on it, it's ok to buy your 13 year old their own broadway show and teach him so much self-indulgence that he'll grow up to be completely unable to function outside of his own bubble in which his self-importance is maintained (which his dad's (or granddad's) money will likely preserve). If Sam's invitation video included him dancing in front of a building with his grandparents' name on it, I'm not sure how that can be labeled anything other than self-indulgent. I suppose I'd be more impressed if he donated all of his bar mitzvah money to a Jewish charity but when your parents can afford to buy you whatever you want and appear to actually do so, there's not much of a lesson in that either. Btw - the paragraph after the one you quoted reads:

"So what's next for Sam? He's heading to New York City Fashion Week in three weeks. 'He loves fashion,' says his mom. 'He's got friends at Neiman Marcus.'"

Were I to re-write this for Sam it would read: "So what's next for Sam? He's heading to Israel to work with children who lost family in terrorist attacks. He loves spending time with those less fortunate, says his mom. He has a special place in his heart for his friends in Israel."
Want to try it, Sam? If so, I know whom to call.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Jewish Defence League UK said...

Maybe Sam will travel to Zanzibar to volunteer with Muslim children next..

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Findalis said...

Sam will grow up, go to a very liberal college, learn to hate Israel and Jews, find a nice Christian girl, marry and have children.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google