Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Iran gets two extra weeks because of a bank holiday?

When I was in Law School, we had a bizarre schedule. We used to come back during the last week in August for a round of job interviews, then we had the first week of September off, and then we started school the second week of September. The result was that we didn't have enough weeks of class to finish the semester until the week before Christmas. Then we had two weeks off for Christmas and New Year's to worry about and study for exams, two weeks of exams, and a one-week semester break. Nearly every other school in the US had exams before Christmas and got a month off for semester break. We, however, were subservient to the Law School's professors who deemed it socially unacceptable to return from Fire Island before Labor Day. I kid you not.

I thought of my old law school schedule while reading Lenny Ben David's write up of Laura Rozen's report of the negotiations with Iran last week, and the bald assertion they made that the next round of talks was put off from May 10 to May 23 (what Prime Minister Netanyahu called a 'freebie' much to Obama's chagrin) because Catherine Ashton - who is now the darling of the Iranians - was not available. I tried to figure out why Ashton might not be able to do the meeting on the 10th. And then I remembered - London has a Fire Island and a Labor Day.

I was in London in May several years ago trying to meet people to drum up business, and there were people I could not see because they had a bank holiday (like a legal holiday in the US) on the Monday that I was there. I tried to make appointments for Tuesday, but they had all gone to Bournemouth and would not be back until Wednesday (I took the bank holiday into account and had a reservation to leave for New York on Tuesday night, but that wasn't enough for many of the people I wished to see). And why wouldn't they be back until Wednesday? Because it wasn't socially acceptable to leave Bournemouth on Monday.

I checked England's bank holiday schedule for 2012 and lo and behold, there is a bank holiday on May 7.

Was the next P-5+1 negotiating session with Iran put off from May 10 to May 23 because it's not socially acceptable for Catherine Ashton to leave Bournemouth until at least May 8? Is Iran getting two more 'freebie' weeks to pursue its nuclear weapons program so that Ms. Ashton can lay on the beach for an extra day? Anyone want to go back to my law school alma mater and ask them?

Hmmm.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google