Powered by WebAds

Monday, October 17, 2011

Ron Arad negotiator says Shalit deal should be rejected

A senior defense official who was involved in negotiations for the release of Ron Arad, an IDF navigator who was shot down over Lebanon 25 years ago on Sunday, says that the deal to release kidnapped IDF Corporal Gilad Shalit in exchange for 1,027 'Palestinian' terrorists, should be rejected.
"Not a day goes by in which I don't think about Ron Arad, especially during these days. I think to myself what have I not done that could have been done to bring him home. But when I look at the future, which could bring about major problems, I think the (Shalit) deal should have been rejected even if his fate would be similar to that of Ron Arad."

The above conclusion was made by a senior defense official who was involved in the state's missing and captive soldiers issue for an extended period of time and had a central role in the contacts to secure the release of captive IAF navigator Ron Arad.

...

"We could have paid the price back then and maybe Ron Arad would have come home," he says. "When Yitzhak Rabin believed that Amal's price should have been questioned, I thought we should have accepted the offer and pay the price."

However, in the years that passed, the senior official changed his mind. "Today I have much experience from other deals I have been involved in, and perhaps Rabin was right because reality led to kidnappings and more extortion. One thing's for sure – we should have changed the rules back then – to determine an unequivocal, uncompromising position and then perhaps we would not be where we are today."
Indeed. But why let reality intrude on a real 'negotiation'?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

Carl - you and I are the proverbial skunks at the "Let's Welcome Shalit Home" party. No one wants to think about the precedent this deal is going to set.

The "I told you sos" won't matter. Israelis have short memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google