Powered by WebAds

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Norwegians claim they condemn anti-Semitism

Last week, I reported on Alan Dershowitz's visit to Norway and how he was not allowed to speak out in favor of Israel. The Norwegian Foreign Minister, Jonas Gahr Store seems a bit offended.
Since he briefly refers to me, I want to refute his claims in no uncertain terms. There is great interest in the Middle East in Norway, particularly in the conflict between the Israelis and the Palestinians. In a democracy like ours, there must be room for all views and assessments to be expressed as part of a vibrant debate, which may well be quite heated. I feel that this is the case in the ongoing debate on the Middle East, where what he refers to as pro-Israel views are also regularly expressed.

I did not meet Mr Dershowitz during his visit to Norway, and he did not contact me. It is, however, my impression that the various statements he made during his stay were thoroughly reported in the media. His frustration is directed against what he perceives as denied access to the rostrums of Norwegian universities. It is difficult for me to comment on this matter. But I fully agree with him that academic institutions should be very open to a broad range of views and knowledge. At the same time, such autonomous institutions are responsible for deciding for themselves which speakers they wish to invite.

The conflicts in the Middle East spark great interest and strong feelings, also in Norway. I am strongly opposed to any form of boycott, whether implicit or real, of viewpoints in the public debate. I note that Mr Dershowitz and I disagree about many things, judging by what I have read by him. We do, however, fully share our clear opposition to all forms of anti-Semitism, which we condemn in all its manifestations.
Bottom line: Dershowitz's charges against the universities stand.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Juniper in the Desert said...

One word for the Norwegians: Quisling.

You can lie and pretend but we know what you are. Can't wait for sharia to be brought in there! You deserve it!

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Carl.
Not related but tought you might like to see this:


http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/5185.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google