Powered by WebAds

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Andrew Whitley walks it back

You will recall Andrew Whitley, the UNRWA New York official who is about to retire, who said that it is time for everyone to be realistic with the 'Palestinian refugees' and tell them that almost none of them will return to what is now Israel. You will recall also that several days later, Whitley was slammed by Jordan, which does not want to keep the thousands of 'Palestinians' who live in the 'kingdom,' which has a 70% 'Palestinian' population. I'm sure you'll all be shocked to hear that Whitley has walked back his remarks.
Ma'an Arabic quotes him as saying "I send my apologies to Palestinian refugees for any pain caused by my remarks. I have spent a lot of my time in the service of the Palestinian refugee issue and I've worked to serve and defend their rights in a professional manner.

"These remarks were wrong and do not represent the view of UNRWA, and I believe that it is not right for the Palestinian refugees to give up their basic rights including the right of return."
Well, of course they don't represent UNRWA's view. Why would UNRWA support something that negates the entire reason for UNRWA's existence?

But let's keep playing pretend. Maybe when we get to eight generations in 'refugee camps' we can reconsider.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

UNRWA will continue to be an obstacle to peace between Israel and the Palestinians - like it was ever in the cards.

What could go wrong indeed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google