Powered by WebAds

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Mom a"h

Five years ago tonight on the Jewish calendar, the 21st day of the Jewish month of Av, my mother a"h (peace be upon her) passed away. The anniversary of the day on which a person passes away is called the yahrtzeit in Yiddish (and that term is commonly used rather than the more cumbersome Yom HaShana in Hebrew). The literal meaning is "year's time."

My rabbi has ruled that I must treat the yahrtzeit as I did the 12 months during which I was in mourning for Mom. That means that I cannot listen to music tonight or tomorrow, and therefore there is no overnight music video.

In case you are wondering, in the picture, Mom is holding my youngest child. He was four months old at the time (a year before she passed away) and that trip to the US to see Mom and Dad was the only time Mom saw him. The baby (who is now six years old bli ayin hara) has no memory of Mom or the trip (for that matter, the next brother up, who was two years old on that trip, has almost no memory of it either).

1 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

Carl - my condolences on your loss. Losing a parent is hard for any child. I lost my father this Av five years ago.

Very young children though do not understand death and it can only be explained to them when they are much older. The one domain in which G-d rules in the world is over life and death, the one area in which we are reminded our power as human beings is far from absolute and we humble ourselves before G-d and accept His judgment for our own good.

Zichronah Livracho. May His memory be for a blessing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google