Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

'Varitek splits the uprights in ionic moment'

Please forgive the digression, but there are some Boston sports fans in Israel who read this blog (I know at least two beside me), who might otherwise miss this story.

In Boston on Monday, a statue of Bruins great Bobby Orr was unveiled outside Boston City Hall. It showed Orr flying through the air after scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal against the St. Louis Blues on Mother's Day in 1970.

Let's go to the videotape (this is the short version - the goal was scored right off the opening faceoff in overtime):



Like every kid who grew up in Boston in that era, I had this picture of that goal on the wall of my bedroom:


As you will see in the video to follow, the statue shows Orr flying through the air.

The statue was dedicated on Monday, the 40th anniversary (please don't tell my kids I remember anything from 40 years ago!) of Orr's goal. Boston Mayor Tom Menino spoke at the dedication.

Let's go to the videotape (Hat Tip: Jeff Jacoby via Twitter - write Jeff to complain if you don't like this post):



For those who don't get what's so funny, 'splitting the uprights' is a football term, Jason Varitek is the longtime Red Sox catcher (the Red Sox play baseball - you should at least know that if you're reading this blog) and Menino is probably referring to Adam Vinateri's game winning field goal (that's football) in the 2002 Super Bowl. And of course, he meant to say 'iconic' and not 'ionic.' Here's the last 29 seconds of Super Bowl XXXVI in 2002, including Vinateri splitting the uprights (which I was watching around 5:00 am here).

Let's go to the videotape.



Did Menino mess up on purpose? Heh.

2 Comments:

At 12:00 AM, Blogger Lois Koenig said...

And there are Red Sox, Celtics and Pats fans living in NY, where it could be dangerous! I take after my Mum zt"l, who was an ardent fan of all Boston teams, including the Braves, until they deserted us...and knew nothing about the actual sport! At least I do know which team plays what...I think. ;) My Dad zt"l used to take all my boy cousins to the Red Sox games, but not me. How I wish my parents had lived to see the Red Sox win the World Series in 2004. I wish it was against the Yankees, though...but it will be.

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger yugughkihkjhy said...

You neglected to say that he basically did it on one knee as he was not really in good shape at that point and yet...
and remember when the Stanley cup was won by Mother's Day?

--debbie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google