Powered by WebAds

Saturday, April 03, 2010

This is what a Jewish army is about

Shavua tov v'moadim l'simcha (a good week and happy holidays).

This is how the IDF worries about new recruits in combat units (Hat Tip: Mrs. Carl).
I got a call today from someone named Shlomi. He asked if I was Chaim's mother...I was about to say no, or Chaim who...when I thought of my adopted son, Chaim. All sorts of thoughts came into my mind, and I knew to get answers to my questions, I had to answer that one first.

"Yes," I answered mostly because I didn't want to waste time explaining when I thought something was wrong, "did something happen? Is he okay?"

Shlomi explained that he was Chaim's commanding officer and was quick to assure me that everything was fine. He was calling because he wanted to come visit and explain to me all about how Chaim is doing in the army, what he is doing, and what he will do for the next few months. This happened during the early weeks of Elie's service (The Uniform and the Visit). The commanding officer comes to the parents and answers all their questions.

As soon as I realized the purpose of the call, I explained to Shlomi, "Wait, I'm not really his mother. His mother is in America. We adopted him." But then, I thought, that isn't a good enough explanation and so I explained that our children consider him like a brother, like one of the family...here, while he has a wonderful family there. I explained that I have a son who just finished artillery and my second son also just entered another Kfir unit.

I was trying to save Shlomi the visit, but he wants to come anyway. I told him straight out - you don't have to come. I'll hear about Kfir when Shmulik's commanding officer comes - "I want to tell you about Chaim," he explained.
Read the whole thing.

I hope Chaim's (real) mother gets to talk to Shlomi too.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

There's a time for war.

And there's a time for davening.

Only in Israel, which is what a Jewish army is all about.

Heh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google