Powered by WebAds

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Naming names

The Likud believes it knows who is behind the embarrassing timing of (notifications of) housing approvals that has made Prime Minister Netanyahu's life difficult over the last couple of weeks: Kadima consultant Eyal Arad.
In the Likud party the belief is growing that political strategist Eyal Arad, is behind the crisis with the U.S. Likud officials point out that Arad, who serves as a consultant to both the Kadima party and Jerusalem mayor Nir Barkat, had all the capabilities and reasons to embarrass his nemesis Netanyahu.
And I will tell you that I think the Likud is wrong on this, because I don't believe Arad opposes Jewish building in 'east' Jerusalem.

I believe someone else - whose name I have never mentioned on this blog as far as I can recall - is responsible for the leaks. I'm not going to put his name in print because if I do and I am wrong I could subject myself to a libel suit (yes, they do things like that in this country and even public figures can win them). But the person I believe is behind the leaks is a Jerusalem city employee who I believe is ideologically opposed to Jewish housing in 'east' Jerusalem.

If any of you want to speculate, please do it in private email - I won't let comments through that name names.

5 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's everyone so shy about?!

"We are Jews.
We'll build where we wanna.
And if you can't hear us,
We'll shout a little louda!"

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry do not agree. Obama has made no secret of his desire to topple Netanyahu and have him replaced with Tzippi Livni who he knows he can better "manage" - as such this has all the hallmarks of a Kadima/US Aministration joint strategy leaving Netanyahu between a rock and a hard place. Although this may sound like conspiracy theory it is not such a jump given Obama's incredible reaction to the Ramat Shlomo housing permit which the Administration knew Netanyahu had left out of the building freeze. The ramping up of that dispute until it now appears that Netanyahu has had to "prove" his commitment to opeace something which the US Administration has not requested of the Arab states to whom Netanyahu's pleadge is to be produced, further reinforces the attempt to belittle and embarrass Netanyahu.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Carl in Jerusalem said...

NORMAN,

I don't doubt that Obama would like to push Livni into the government nor that Kadima might be playing along. I just don't believe it's Eyal Arad, because if it is Eyal Arad and Nir Barkat finds out, Arad is gone. (Despite being a member of Kadima, Barkat is first and foremost a patron of Jerusalem).

There's someone else in Jerusalem who has access to the information regarding what's been approved and when who has much more of an ideological axe to grind and wouldn't just be disclosing this information out of a desire to cause problems for Netanyahu. I believe that s/he is behind the disclosures.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger NormanF said...

Its interesting this information reaches the press just in time to create more difficulty for the Prime Minister. I don't believe its a coincidence. Still when all is said and done, all this is really nothing - unless the goal is to break the will of Israel's government to keep Jerusalem a united city under Israeli sovereignty. And I should point out if that happens, its not the world that is going to do it to Israel; its the Jews who are going to do it to themselves.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Kae Gregory said...

If this is true, this type of behavior is representative of what has fueled the Tea Party movement in the U.S., IMO. The idea that the end justifies the means is dishonest in its essense and people are becoming repulsed by it. I pray that Netanyahu holds firm and that honesty wins out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google