Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Bezeq 'guards' our morals

I tried reaching the link below, which I got from a tweet from Drudge Report.

Curiously, Bezeq (which unfortunately bought out Actcom - my original service provider since 1994) does not allow me to reach the link. A firewall claims that the link includes 'forbidden content' like betting and alcohol. The link goes to AP News. In fact, I had to search Drudge's Tweet on Google just to get to the link above - when I clicked on the TinyUrl posted by Drudge, I got the same 'forbidden content' message.

Least you think this only happens in Iran and China....

(And for those of you in Israel, no I do not have one of those religious firewalls on this computer).

Anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE 12:22 PM

Mrs. Carl called Bezeq (it's technically her account) and after half an hour on the phone with them when they couldn't find our account(!) and their protests ("why wouldn't you want it - it's free!") , they have supposedly agreed to remove the 'service' from our account. Mrs. Carl even read them the URL and they confirmed that it had no references to alcohol, gambling etc.

I'll have to try again later. The problem is that I generally open multiple tabs from Twitter and often don't even know which tab has been blocked....

5 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger Bob Martin said...

Had the same problem. Call Bezeq & find out if they've signed you up for their Internet protection service.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Mr. Gerson said...

Source

You an find it here, and a back-link.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Akiva said...

Definitely sounds like Bob said. Bezek BeinLeumi ISP offers several levels of internet filtering services, to protect the children or yourself as desired.

Sounds like one of these services got activated on your account.

ALTERNATELY, if you recently installed a new Internet Security Suite (like Norton or Kapersky), they also include filtering or "parental protection" and you may have activated this feature.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Mervyn Doobov said...

I too was bought by Bezeq BeinLeumi when it acquired Actcom. I have never had any experience like that described. My only beef with them is the loss of Usenet. Protesting doesn't help because every Bezek-B-L technician I've spoken to doesn't know what Usenet is.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger NormanF said...

Optional services should be shut off by default. If you have underage kids, you should have a limited account for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google