Powered by WebAds

Thursday, October 01, 2009

US statement to the 'Human Rights Council' on Goldstone

I wanted to show you what the United States told the 'Human Rights Council' about the Goldstone Report on Wednesday. It's actually better than I expected. Unfortunately, I couldn't cut and paste from the pdf, but I was able to screen capture part of the statement. The full statement is here.


It actually gets the part about Israeli courts right, although it goes on (in a sentence that was cut off) to suggest that the 'Palestinian Authority' investigate violations of international law by Hamas. That would be rich.

In the paragraph after the ones I screen captured, the statement says that it is concerned about the suggestion that this case be taken to the Security Council and the International Criminal Court, saying that if this were done in every case, the 'Human Rights Council's role would be 'different.' How's that for understatement? At least it shows that someone in the State Department understands that on this point, at least, Israel is the canary in the coal mine.

2 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'll eat my hat if we don't hear within 24 hours that the official mis-spoke

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger NormanF said...

Given the way Obumbler thinks, I'll be surprised if the statement holds for 24 hours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google