Powered by WebAds

Sunday, September 13, 2009

The takeaway line

I spent much of today at the Jewish bloggers conference here in Jerusalem.

I left before the last session - somehow I don't think I need to learn to blog for making aliya after 18 years.

But I wanted to give you the good news. The last speaker I heard was Ron Dermer, who is Prime Minister Netanyahu's spokesman and he said something that made a lot of sense to me. He said:
For years, we have been talking about peace. Peace is a good thing to discuss, but we also have to talk about our rights to the land and our history. I'll prove it to you.

Since Ehud Barak went to Camp David, the 'Palestinians' have used one word over and over again. That word is ... [everyone shouts out] "occupation." Very good. Now, along comes Israel since Ehud Barak went to Camp David nine years ago and says, "but we offered you 92 or 95 or 97% - whatever it is." They're saying "you stole my home" and we're saying "but we offered to give you back 95% of it." Who wins that argument?
Dermer is right of course. Makes me wonder how much of the Global Language Dictionary ought to be revisited.

3 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger NormanF said...

As long as Jews emphasize the enemy narrative, they will never do justice to their rights to Eretz Israel. The other side of the argument needs to be made and repeated at every opportunity. There is the old saying, "a good defense is a good offense."

Its time for Israel to get back on the offensive.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Risa Tzohar said...

That was a satisfying quote and I clapped loud and hard when I heard it. BUT, will it translate into deeds on the home front??? Time will tell...

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger goyisherebbe said...

Why is Dermer's boss, Netanyahu, alienating most of his support in the Likud and NU, the real right, while pursuing leftist policies? Feiglin and Manhigut should have been in the Likud Knesset faction but he pulled a dirty trick. The next time there is a vote for leader of the Likud (Licouldn't) the increasing right-wing internal opposition will make itself felt even more. If Netanyahu is not unseated, the mainstream of the Likud will put heavy pressure on Netanyahu to cooperate with Manhigut and involve them in the party leadership. Boogie is already a factor in this direction. There will be others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google