Powered by WebAds

Monday, January 26, 2009

Shocka: Hamas tried to hijack ambulances during war

Monday morning's Sydney Morning Herald is reporting based on interviews with Gaza ambulance drivers that Hamas attempted to hijack Red Crescent ambulances during Operation Cast Lead. I'm sure you're all shocked (Hat Tip: Memeorandum).
Mohammed Shriteh, 30, is an ambulance driver registered with and trained by the Palestinian Red Crescent Society.

His first day of work in the al-Quds neighbourhood was January 1, the sixth day of the war. "Mostly the war was not as fast or as chaotic as I expected," Mr Shriteh told the Herald. "We would co-ordinate with the Israelis before we pick up patients, because they have all our names, and our IDs, so they would not shoot at us."

Mr Shriteh said the more immediate threat was from Hamas, who would lure the ambulances into the heart of a battle to transport fighters to safety.

"After the first week, at night time, there was a call for a house in Jabaliya. I got to the house and there was lots of shooting and explosions all around," he said.

Because of the urgency of the call, Mr Shriteh said there was no time to arrange his movements with the IDF.

"I knew the Israelis were watching me because I could see the red laser beam in the ambulance and on me, on my body," he said.

Getting out of the ambulance and entering the house, he saw there were three Hamas fighters taking cover inside. One half of the building had already been destroyed.

"They were very scared, and very nervous … They dropped their weapons and ordered me to get them out, to put them in the ambulance and take them away. I refused, because if the IDF sees me doing this I am finished, I cannot pick up any more wounded people.

"And then one of the fighters picked up a gun and held it to my head, to force me. I still refused, and then they allowed me to leave."

Mr Shriteh says Hamas made several attempts to hijack the al-Quds Hospital's fleet of ambulances during the war.

"You hear when they are coming. People ring to tell you. So we had to get in all the ambulances and make the illusion of an emergency and only come back when they had gone."
I wonder whether Mr. Shriteh has been arrested as a 'collaborator' yet.

Oh, and those crickets you hear chirping in the background? They're telling you that it doesn't matter: Only the Israelis will be charged with 'war crimes.'

Hopenchange anyone?

5 Comments:

At 3:09 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

It doesn't matter. Don't hold your breath waiting for the UN to charge Hamas with a "war crime."

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Carl,

Do you think it would be possible for Israel to simply...stop caring? Whenever I find myself imagining the actions I would take if I were a Prime Minister, I never hesitate in carpet-bombing Gaza and scaring Hamas into oblivion until they end their rocket fire and return Shalit, and completely disregard international calls for cease-fire and the common bullshit.

Can Israel actually do this, and should Israel do this? And if they CAN do this...why don't they?

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Outrider said...

Personally I am glad Israel does not stop caring and has consistently taken the "high road". They have still achieved victory and kept in the moral right in the process.

It would be too easy to sink to the level of our enemies and conduct warfare as they do. But in the process, we would become them.

This is why countries like the United States, Israel and most western countries follow the Laws of Land Warfare, the Geneva conventions and strong moral codes when engaging in combat.

By so doing, you keep the moral high ground and when victory is finally achieved you will have won in all ways. And kept that which makes us strong.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Carl in Jerusalem said...

Joe and Outrider,

Two and a half years ago, I argued for 'Dresden-like' bombing in Gaza and southern Lebanon rather than risking the lives of Israeli soldiers. I stand by that.

I would not target civilians. But the Geneva Convention is clear that if terrorists hide behind civilians, you are admitted to ignore the civilians (Article 28, 4th Geneva Convention - I have quoted it many times in the blog). I see no need to send ground troops into booby-trapped houses when the houses can be bombed from the air.

As to our 'higher moral standards,' the Torah is the highest moral standard. The Torah is clear that when someone comes to kill you, kill him first.

Try telling a parent whose child was killed protecting the lives of 'Palestinians' behind whom terrorists were hiding about our 'higher moral standard.' I'll guarantee you they'll ignore you unless the media is around.

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact, Carl, I would define Outrider's post as lower moral standards, not higher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google