Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The beginning of the end for the Mubarak regime?

Jim at Gateway Pundit has extensive coverage of riots that have been going on in Egypt due to rising costs of basic staples. Sandmonkey reports that this is the second day of rioting in the Nile Delta city of Mhalla. Dr. Rusty at the Jawa Report sums up my feelings about the riots in Egypt:

I'm never sure how to react to pro-democracy protests in the Middle East anymore. My first reaction was that this was not necessarily a good sign since many of those now in favor of "democracy" are Islamists who's ultimate goal is to get rid of democracy as soon as they come to power. See Gaza for a perfect example.

But Sam Adam [Sandmonkey. CiJ] notes that the protests are happening in Mahalla which is "not a MB stronghold". Could this be the start of something bigger? Let's keep our fingers crossed.

My feelings exactly. I can only add that I worry about what a future Egyptian leader might do with Egypt's cold peace treaty with Israel, especially given how much American weaponry has been showered on the Egyptians over the last thirty years.

But follow the links above to keep track of what's going on in Egypt.

2 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Or for balance you can go over to islamonline-dot-net (not com).

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Red Tulips said...

The Iranian ‘revolution’ started this way too. It was not long before the Islamists took over. After the leftists and pro-democracy types did the dirty work, the Ayatollah took the prize. I would be actively surprised if Egypt does not end up with a Muslim Brotherhood government, should Mubarak leave. I hope I am surprised, but given the high level of support for the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt…I doubt it.

Sadly. :(

I will hope for the best, but I assume it will not happen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google