Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Kidnappers of Fox News reporters issue ultimatum


The Jerusalem Post's Israel Alert Service (no link yet) is reporting that the purported kidnappers of the Fox News reporters have issued an ultimatum.

The group has given the US government 72 hours to release all Muslim prisoners that it holds, Sky News reported. A previously unheard of Palestinian group, the Holy Jihad Brigades, claimed responsibility on Wednesday for kidnapping of the Fox cameraman and correspondent, Al-Jazeera reported.

Update 5:12 PM

Al-AP has more details:

A previously unheard-of Palestinian group released video footage on Wednesday showing two kidnapped Fox News journalists, and demanded that Muslim prisoners in US jails be released within 72 hours in exchange for the men, the Palestinian news agency Ramattan reported.

The footage was the first sign of American correspondent Steve Centanni, 60, and cameraman Olaf Wiig, 36, of New Zealand since they were kidnapped August 14 from their TV van near the Palestinian security services headquarters in Gaza City.

Although Palestinian terrorist groups have often seized foreigners, including members of the media, this is the longest any have been held.

...

In the video footage, the men, sitting on the floor in sweat suits, appeared to be in good health. No armed men were seen. The journalists were heard saying in the video that they were in good hands and appealed to their governments to respond to the kidnappers' demands.

"We are going to exchange the Muslim female and male prisoners in American jails in return for the prisoners that we have. We are going to give you 72 hours beginning midnight tonight to take your decision," Ramattan quoted the kidnappers' statement as saying.

The group did not say what would happen if the deadline passed unanswered, Ramattan reported.

"If you implement and meet our condition, we will fulfill our promise. If not, wait, and we are going to wait," the statement said.

Unbelievable. And no one cares.

Update 5:30 PM

Sky News adds:
In a video released by their captors the pair said they were being treated well.

They both called for pressure to be put on the Palestinian government to obtain their release.

Centanni, said they had access to clean water, showers, bathrooms, food and clothing.

"Our captors are treating us well," he said.

"So, just want to let you know I am here and alive and give my love to my family and friends.

"(Please) do anything you can to try to help us get out of here,"

New Zealander Wiig also called for help to get them freed.

"If you could apply any pressure on the local government here in Gaza and the West Bank that would be much appreciated," he said.

4 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

You are correct. There is virtually no mention of these guys anywhere.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Dave in Pa said...

Just did a quick surf.

Al-Beeb had a short article, posted 8/18. "Wife plea for missing journalist" at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/
uk_news/5265328.stm

(Nothing at Al-Beeb since that date, nearly a week ago.)

Nothing at the Beeb's short-pants cousin, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp, Al-CBC. They're no less vilely leftist, anti-Israel, anti-American than the Beeb.

Al-CNN has one article dated today, "Captors of Fox journalists set 72-hour deadline", at http://www.cnn.com/2006/
WORLD/meast/08/23/
kidnapped.journalists/index.html

Al-NY Times has one article today, republication of an Al-Reuters article entitled "Kidnapped journalists seen on video", at http://www.nytimes.com/
reuters/news/
news-mideast-gaza-
kidnappings.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

So, there is some coverage, although certainly nowhere near the amount or intensity we'd see if it were a Politically Correct leftist "journalist" and photographer from one of the Al-Appeaser news entities.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger MatzahNacho said...

I can't believe civilization is putting up with this crap. These terrorists need to be defeated once and for all.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Lois Koenig said...

And while they show that these 2 men are still alive, thank G-d, there has not been one photo, one video, one recording, nothing, re the 3 kidnapped Israeli soldiers in over a month. Nothing, that is, except the same sort of outrageous demands that they are making for the release of the journalists.

When the evil, Israel-hating al-IRC asked to see them, to assure that they were alive and being treated humanely, and were told 'no'? al-IRC never tried again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google