Powered by WebAds

Monday, July 17, 2006

Katyushas hit Jezreel Valley

Good morning to all of you.

During the night, Katyusha rockets hit the Jezreel Valley for the first time, landing in Afula (where my son plans to go to Yeshiva in August, God willing), Natzeret Ilit (Upper Nazareth) Migdal HaEmek and Givat Ela. The army believes that at least some of those rockets were aimed at the nearby Ramat David airbase.

For my Christian readers, I have not seen any reports of Katyushas landing in Nazareth itself, which is near Upper Nazareth. But I am sure you are aware that the Islamic movement wished to build a mosque next to the Church of the Annunciation, so it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they would like to hit the church. The good news is that the Katyushas are not a precise weapon, so they cannot really target the church from Lebanon.

Last night's attack marked the southernmost region rockets have reached. Six people suffered from shock.

Afula is located some 45 kilometers southeast of Haifa. It is not clear to me exactly how far that is from Lebanon, but it's certainly not the furthest that Hezbullah can reach. In fact, HaAretz is reporting this morning that the army is concerned that Hezbullah will use the Zelzal rockets known to be in its possession and target the area in and around Tel Aviv. Then it would ReallyBeInMyBackYard. I wonder what would happen if a Katyusha hit a Yesh Gvul rally (left-wing 'activists' who rallied last night in Tel Aviv calling for Israel to 'negotiate' with Hamas and Hezbullah, and to please turn off the lights when you leave the country for abroad).

Katyusha rockets also landed last night in Julis, Abu Snaan, and Kfar Yasif and in and around Acre. Yes, there are Arabs in some of those towns.

The Katyushas are continuing this morning. Tsfat (Safed), Tverya (Tiberias), Akko (Acre) and Haifa have all been hit this morning. Harvey in Efrat is telling me that Prime Minister Olmert is to make a 'special announcement' later this morning. I can think of a lot of nasty comments but I will restrain myself - we are in a war!

Sderot was also hit this morning with Kassams on the Gaza front. Two people were lightly wounded by shrapnel.

Here in Jerusalem, it is relatively quiet, bli ayin hara, but tense. I still have not heard from my Tel Aviv-based client who went to Caesaria for 'vacation' yesterday - I suspect she spent the night in shelters. My wife has to go to a client in the center of the country today, and I'm not happy about it but she says there is no choice. I spent yesterday working on a legal memo, and that's what I will spend most of today doing as well, when I am not on here. Fortunately, it does not require me to go far from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google