Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Dershowitz weeps: Hamas is killing the 'two-state solution'

Alan Dershowitz writes that by targeting Ben Gurion Airport, Hamas has effectively killed the 'two-state solution.'
Hamas's decision to fire rockets in the direction of Ben Gurion Airport may well have ended any real prospect of a two-state solution. Whether the regulators and airlines that have stopped flights to and from Israel are right or wrong, this stoppage cannot possibly be tolerated by a democratic country that relies so heavily on tourism and international travel. It is of course a war crime to target an international civilian airport, as Hamas has clearly done. Israel has every right to keep that airport open, employing all reasonable military means at its disposal. Since Hamas fires its rockets from densely populated civilian areas, there will be more Palestinian civilian deaths.
This of course is part of Hamas' grand strategy: by targeting Israeli civilians and international air travel from its own civilian areas, Hamas leaves Israel no choice but to take military actions that risk the lives of innocent Palestinians. There will be even more innocent Palestinian deaths now, as Hamas has raised the stakes considerably for Israel. Every country in the world would do everything in its power to keep open the airports, which are the lifelines to its economic viability. Hamas knows this and welcomes Israeli military action that produces more dead Palestinian civilians and hence more international criticism of Israel.
Even more importantly, Hamas' actions in essentially closing down international air traffic into Israel, considerably reduces the prospect of any two-state solution. Israel will now be more reluctant than ever to give up military control over the West Bank, which is even closer to Ben Gurion Airport than is Gaza.
Were Israel to end its military occupation of the West Bank—as distinguished from its civilian settlements deep in the West Bank—it would risk the possibility of a Hamas takeover. That is precisely what happened when Israel removed both its civilian settlements and its military presence in Gaza. Hamas took control, fired thousands of rockets at Israeli civilian targets and have now succeeded in stopping international air traffic into and out of Israel.
Israel could not accept the risk of a Hamas takeover of the West Bank and the resulting Hamas rocket attacks at the nearby Ben Gurion Airport. It may still be possible to create a two-state solution whereby Israel withdraws its civilian settlers from most of the West Bank and agrees to land swaps for areas that now contain large settlement blocks. But Israel will have to retain military control over its security borders, which extend to the Jordan River. It will also have to maintain a sufficient military presence to assure that what happened in Gaza does not happen in the West Bank. These military realities do not have to exist forever. Israel's military presence could be reduced if the Palestinian Authority were to maintain effective control over the West Bank and prevent terrorists from using that area to send rockets and terrorists into Israel.
The new reality caused by Hamas' shutting down of international air travel to and from Israel would plainly justify an Israeli demand that it maintain military control over the West Bank in any two-state deal. The Israeli public would never accept a deal that did not include a continued Israeli military presence in the West Bank. They have learned the tragic lesson of Gaza and they will not allow it to be repeated in the West Bank. The Palestinian Authority, however, is unlikely to accept such a condition, though it should. This will simply make it far more difficult for an agreement to be reached.
Dershowitz's belief that Fatah (and the 'Palestinian Authority') is not in agreement with Hamas is an alternative reality. Fatah just concluded a unity agreement with Hamas a few months ago, and it has given no indication that it intends to abandon that agreement over a few thousand rockets and a few dozen terror tunnels. He's right that Fatah will never accept an Israeli presence (of any kind) in Judea and Samaria, and telling them that they should will not change that fact.

Dershowitz has turned himself into just another peace processor who thinks that just because he believes we 'cannot live without peace,' the other side must also think that way.

What could go wrong?

Labels: , , , , , ,


At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is time to face the reality that the "two-state solution" is not feasible. Maybe the solution is one that has always been there--recognition of Jordan as the "Arab Palestinian" state that was split off the Palestinian Mandate (77% of the land) in 1922. Maybe we could then live in the remaining 23% and the Arabs could leave us alone.

I hope that the world may recognize that this can be a logical end to the conflict.


Post a Comment

<< Home