Powered by WebAds

Monday, April 08, 2013

One family's Holocaust experience

I grew up with the children of Salo (Sidney) Blechner z"l in Boston - two of them were in my brother's class in school. But I knew nothing of the family history until today.

The family had immigrated from Poland to Munch, Germany, and when the Holocaust came, those who survived were scattered around the world. Sidney survived six years in concentration camps before emigrating to Boston.

The family's story is now an exhibit at the Jewish museum in Munich (where another friend is actually the local Orthodox rabbi today). You can see the exhibit here.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger ronnie b said...

Thank you. and I always read your blog. I had no idea that you knew my uncle Salo.

I am Ron Blechner, one of 3 sons of Oskar Blechner who was on the St Louis and managed to get to the UK and survive. My brothers and I have in turn multiplied, but still the threat is always there.

People and nations say 'never again', but it's easy talk, and too often there is silence in the face of the blindingly obvious.

Thank you once again for your blogging, it means a lot to me and I am sure many many others too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google