Powered by WebAds

Monday, February 06, 2012

Apple to join Microsoft and Google in setting up Israeli R&D?

In December, I reported on Apple's acquisition of Israeli flash memory company Anobit, and how it would likely result in Apple opening up an R&D facility here.

But Intel has been here for 40 years, and Microsoft and Google have also been here for a long time. So what took Apple so long? I'm sure you'll be shocked (Hat Tip: Israellycool).
The real question: why did it take Apple so long? One suspected cause was the political leanings of Steve Jobs’ wife: firmly in the left-leaning liberal and pro-Palestinian camps. Apple has neglected Israel as a market for its computers for years despite Israel leading the world in per-capita computer use. Apple’s market share in personal computers is much lower in Israel than in the United States or even Europe, and support for Hebrew is not as comprehensive as it is on Windows.
And people always ask me why I don't consider buying a Mac (it's also a lot more expensive and that's another good reason).

Read the whole thing.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Sunlight said...

I'm reading Steve Jobs's bio... his birth father was Syrian. I never knew that. He did switch several years back to the Intel chips that Israel plays a huge role in advancing and producing. I was very excited when they did that. I mean, seriously, that was huge (and certainly not against your national interests). And if they are now expanding their own brand name into Israel, I would support them. Macs are fabulous and Israel has joined in making them better and better.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Captain.H said...

All I know is that when I shopped around and bought my new PC last year, I would have paid about double for the equivalent Apple to what I paid for my Dell.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I never realized that about his wife. I thought Jobs just had a connection with Arabs because of his natural father.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Juniper in the Desert said...

I don't suppose they would make these plans if they thought Israel would get nuked by the mullahs or attack by Hez??

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger Empress Trudy said...

It does call into question though, Jobs much vaunted brilliance if he's willing to abandon a wonderful opportunity and market for the pettiest of reasons. Though I'm not an Apple product owner, I do like their stuff but they must be fantastically overpriced if they could afford to do something like this.

BTW Jobs was a complete SOB in every other way so why not this too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google