Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Too good to check: Online news site calls runner named Gay "Homosexual"

This is off topic, but if Haaretz could publish it, so can I.
The news site at OneNewsNow.com operates an automatic filter to change words that "do not suit" its ideological line. So its report on the victory at the Olympics of sprinter Tyson Gay looked like this: "Tyson Homosexual was a blur in blue, sprinting 100 meters faster than anyone ever has. "His time of 9.68 seconds at the U.S. Olympic trials Sunday doesn't count as a world record, because it was run with the help of a too-strong tailwind. Here's what does matter: Homosexual qualified for his first Summer Games and served notice he's certainly someone to watch in Beijing. "It means a lot to me," the 25-year-old Homosexual said. "I'm glad my body could do it, because now I know I have it in me." Every time sprinter's surname appeared, the conservative filter changed it to "Homosexual." If you are talking gays, that's the proper term in the editors' opinion. In "The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2009," edited by Dave Eggers, this text took first place in the category Best American Censorship Blunder.
Where is William Safire when we need him?

2 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Batya said...

that's pc for

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Batya said...

that's pc for

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google