Powered by WebAds

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Simchas Beis HaShoeva

Every night during the Succot holiday, dozens of synagogues and yeshivas throughout Jerusalem and other cities hold a Simchat Beit HaShoeva. This one took place in Toldos Aharon in Meah Shearim three years ago (I don't know how they got a camera in - it's absolutely prohibited and because of that, most of the videos you see are done on cell phones). I have been to Toldos Aharon several times, and you cannot imagine how much more crowded it actually is than it looks in this video. By the way, I believe that the video camera is on US time, which would explain why towards the end, it gets less crowded - that's not 7:00 pm, it's 1:00 am.

And yes, what you're seeing is men only.

Let's go to the videotape.

3 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way back when I was in Yeshiva, I went Simchat Beit HaShoeva hopping with friends.

We went in to Toldos Aharon. The spirit was extremly intense.

I could have sworn we were in there for 15 minutes. My watch corrected me: it had been a little under 2 hours.

I don't know what happened to the time.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Laser said...

It was filmed from the balcony -- presumably the ladies' section.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger NormanF said...

They're anti-Zionist by reputation. But they don't seem averse to mixing it up with Jews who can only be religious Zionists as the kippot srugot are known in Israel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google