Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Video: Moshe cries for his mother

Many Israelis believe strongly that when - God forbid - we are victimized by a terror attack, we should allow the news media to broadcast the aftermath in the hope that someone will take pity on us. Generally, I don't believe it's proper to intrude on a family's grief in that manner. Because I believe that the family's privacy takes precedence over arousing the world's pity, I debated long and hard about posting - or even watching - the video I am about to show you. But in this case, I believe it's the right thing to do in the hope that someone out there will be able to at least ensure that this child's material needs are fulfilled.

The video was broadcast on Channel 10 cable news on Monday night, and the sound track is all in Hebrew, but you really don't need a translation. The first part is a memorial service for Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and his wife Rivka that took place in the synagogue in Mumbai. That's where you'll see lots of Moshe screaming for his mother (the word "Imma" - pronounced "eema" - in Hebrew means "mother" or "Mommy"). The man with the white beard speaking is Rivka Holtzberg's father, who lives in Afula in northern Israel. The second part is scenes of Chabad House in Mumbai in the aftermath of the terror attack. Yes, that's a Torah scroll with bullet holes. The final part is at the airport preparing to embark for Israel and the funerals that took place here on Tuesday. I only watched this video once and I remember every detail. It's haunting me and it will haunt you too.

Hat tip: NY Nana

Content warning: This video is very emotionally disturbing. I had to force myself to watch it.

Let's go to the videotape.



May God avenge the blood of the martyrs of Mumbai. I have no other words.

UPDATE 11:37 PM

There's an English video with less of the ceremony in India but interviews with people at the funeral on Tuesday in Israel here (Hat Tip: Little Green Footballs).

4 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Blogger Lois Koenig said...

Carl,

'May God avenge the blood of the martyrs of Mumbai. I have no other words.'

Same here.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger NormanF said...

I second your thoughts, Carl. No one is unaffected by Moshe's plight or unmoved by his tears. A child should not be an orphan. Yet we are reminded that G-d is the protector of orphans and as I observed earlier, He knows a debt has to be repaid. G-d hears and will heed his cries.

 
At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it seems like there is too much hate and then at other times, not enough.


Psalm 131:21 Do I not hate them, O Lord, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? 22 I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Findalis said...

I cannot hear Moshe cry without tears in my eyes. There are no words that can justify the horror that has been inflicted on this child.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google