Powered by WebAds

Monday, August 18, 2008

Huckabee: 'US support of Israeli territorial compromise is misguided'

Former Arkansas governor and potential Republican Vice Presidential nominee Mike Huckabee is here visiting this week. While I have expressed some skepticism with respect to Huckabee in the past, this week he seems to be saying almost all the right things.
"It is a historic reality that Jerusalem, and the entire land, was originally intended to be a homeland for the Jewish people," he said. "The Palestinians should in fact have a place and opportunity to settle but it doesn't have to be in Jerusalem."

Palestinians demand all of east Jerusalem including the city's holy sites as capital of their future state.

Huckabee said that US support of Israeli territorial compromise was misguided.

"Sometimes politicians get wrapped up in what we can achieve rather than what we should achieve," he said.

At an overlook of the Old City and east Jerusalem, the former presidential candidate also said that Israel needs to distance its enemies as much as possible.

"If someone has a bomb or a missile or a gun pointed within a few feet of me I would want them to be as far away as possible," he said. "You don't have to be a military genius or strategist to know this."

New York Congressman Dov Hikind, who accompanied Huckabee on his trip, said that the issue boiled down to the right of the Jewish people to live anywhere in Jerusalem.

"Imagine if in our neighborhood I would say that Blacks cannot live here," he told Huckabee as they stood on the rooftop of a Jewish home in the Arab section of the city's Abu-Tor neighborhood.

For his part, Hikind lavished unstinting praise on Huckabee.

"He is one of the exceptional supporters of the State of Israel...who is not wrapped up with the Oslo Syndrome," Hikind said, referring to the failed Israeli-Palestinian peace accords of the 1990s.

Huckabee said that coming to Israel repeatedly reminded him of both the heritage and the founding values of the United States.

"It may be a tiny country but it occupies an extraordinarily large footprint in the day to day struggle for peace in the world," he said.

He said that Israel has succeeded in overcoming the tremendous odds and suffering and yet constantly looks forward instead of backwards.

"It is a microcosm of everything that the US understands about freedom," he concluded.
Hmmm. There's much more. Read the whole thing.

5 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If Huckabee is not chosen for McCain's Vice Presidential running mate (and it's not looking like he will be), I will almost definitely vote "none of the above," as McCain, contrary to the anti-Obama folks' wishful thinking, moves with the winds of his advisors (both neoconservative and other), and they are not helping Israel whatsoever, but making things much worse.

Huckabee has the right worldview and proven leadership (not just his successful executive experience, but his taking the lead, his original thinking, his "change," but of the right kind) that would have been used to redirect us away from our misguided and peace-hindering, Israel-sacrificing US foreign policy. But people that don't have a clue about who believe what in Christendom listened to the wrong voices (propaganda largely put out by Jew haters within the Church), they really blew it.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Daniel434 said...

@orde:

Wow, you are a Huckafanatic aren't you? I only see you post when the topic is Mike Huckabee :) No hard feelings, but I get a feeling you have a mancrush on him or something...

Regarding Christendom, most of it is lukewarm and dead. Jews have every right to be wary, especially of Roman Catholicism aka 'Paganized Christianity'. I say this as a Fundamentalist Baptist. The problem is, a good portion of the church ARE Jew-Haters or at the least Jew-Replacers. When the most dominant theology is supersessionism which is a veiled anti-semitic theology, there is something wrong with Christendom.

When you follow a dispensational Israelology and are called a heretic for it, then you know something is wrong...

When you want to embrace the Jewish roots of the faith and allow the Messianic Jews to do so but it is labeled heresy, you know something is wrong...

Bah, I don't feel like going on this tangent any longer :) I guess your choice of words struck a nerve with me.

In closing, I want Huck as VP but it's not likely. Huck is the biggest supporter of Israel out of all the candidates for VP, except probably for Cantor himself.

Blessings,
Daniel

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Daniel, I keep uncovering more and more layers and ties not just within the replacementists, but linking those of Palestinian Liberation Theology (like Naim Ateek) not just to them, but to the Emergent/Emerging Movement, and most unfortunately, their latest inroads are into even the Baptist church. Also anyone signing "interfaith" (read ecumenical and anti-Israel) agreements (particularly those promising to praise Islam in church) I have a problem with, that includes Rick Warren, Jim Wallis, Leith Anderson, Tony Campolo, Brian McLaren, etc. The rate of metastasis of this very anti-Israel political ecumenical movement veiled as a religion is the greatest antisemitic astonishment I've seen in my lifetime. This is the movement that will take Jerusalem from Israel. Helpful book: "Future Israel: Why Christian Anti-Judaism Must Be Challenged".

About being dispensational and called a heretic, it sucks being misrepresented, true, but it helps to have fellowship around to hold up your arms, and knowing that we were warned/promised this (2 Tim 4:3, 2 Tim 3:12, Mt 7:13-23).

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Daniel434 said...

Orde,

Amen, brother. Very good post and I'll definitely add that book to my list. I love to read that sorta stuff and I just love Christian Zionism, but to some it is anathema.

You are 100% on the dot regarding the ecumenical church movement. It is scary. After re-reading my post today it seems like I was a bit harsh on you, forgive me. :) I love Huckabee as well, and your theology & doctrine seems to match up quite well with mine. I think I remember checking a link you posted about the current books you are reading.

Thank you for your kind words my brother, and let's hope Huckabee will be the Veep! Although remember, my pastor always says that the Messiah will not come back on Airforce One. God is sovereign and in control.

Blessings,
Daniel

P.S. -- It is hard to find a good church these days, unfortunately I am in the process of finding one and am going to check out a local Messianic Church on Saturday. Thanks again.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Daniel434 said...

You may be confused, I need to clarify "my pastor" is not a pastor at a local church I attend. I listen to him from sermonaudio.com (Marc Monte) but I consider him as my pastor and have several e-mail exchanges with him. He is great, and a lover of Israel. I wish here in Maryland there was a church like that close to home. Pray for me brother on my success at finding a good church with a burden for Israel and the Jews.

Blessings,
Daniel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google