Powered by WebAds

Monday, August 13, 2007

Huckabee and Yad Vashem

There's a beautiful story about former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee in today's Jerusalem Post that I have not seen widely reported in the US media. Huckabee finished a surprising second in a Republican straw poll in Ames, Iowa on Saturday. Admittedly, the straw poll probably doesn't matter much. But the story is beautiful nonetheless, and if it reflects the real Mike Huckabee, I would consider supporting him:
When Mike Huckabee neared the end of his speech to the thousands of Iowans about to vote in the straw poll for Republican presidential candidates Saturday, he drew on a personal experience at a faraway place for inspiration: a family visit to Yad Vashem.

"I wanted them to see what happens when good people just sit back and do nothing, when they don't act," the former Arkansas governor said, "because what happened to the millions of Jews who were killed during the reign of terror under Adolf Hitler in World War II [happened] because a lot of decent people, calling themselves Christians, simply looked the other way."

At the end of the tour of Yad Vashem, Huckabee watched his 11-year-old daughter Sarah, who had been silent throughout the visit, sign the guest book. "She wrote words I'll never forget as long as I live. These are the words she wrote: 'Why didn't somebody do something?'"

To rousing applause, Huckabee told the audience on Saturday that Americans needed to take action: "Let it never be that some day in this wonderful country that we call home, that some father has to look over his daughter's shoulder and watch her write words like that."
The time has come for someone to do something.

So I decided to find out what Huckabee's positions on the Middle East are:
"I've been to 40 countries around the world," he said. "I deal regularly with the consulars and ambassadors who come to our state. ... My first trip to the Mideast was in 1973 when I was 18. I've been to Israel nine times."
That's the only mention of Israel on the blog. There is no mention of 'Palestinians.'

Maybe we (the Jewish community, Americans in Israel) should support this guy?

3 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger Daddy Sloane said...

Carl,

The of speaks often of the middle east and Israel. He really gets that the war we find ourselves in is ideological and therefore there is very little to no room to negotiate. If you want, the Governor holds weekly conference calls with Bloggers and you can be a part of one and ask him questions. my site is http://sloanereality.blogspot.com if you want to pop over and contact me about it.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Lois Koenig said...

Carl,

I have been reading about him since yesterday, and am seriously considering voting for him. The information about him is very impressive, and his support of Israel seems to be out of personal feelings rather than political.

I like his priorities. And his 11 year old daughter, when they went to Yad Vashem, was indeed profound, in just a few words. I have been all over his official site, and his feelings about Israel
stand out, as well as his general platform.

I was not aware of him until the Iowa straw poll, at least not on a level that would cause me to rethink my vote.

Now I have.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

He'll get 20% at most, but deserves 80%.
Most American Jews care more about abortion rights thanIsrael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google